Contains nuts and dairy
This apple crumble is gluten-free and without added sugar, but doesn�t lack in flavour (I promise!). Traditionally a tart apple variety such as Granny Smiths are used in pies and crumbles, but since the only other sweetness here is three dates, try for a slightly sweeter variety such as Gala or Red Delicious. I don�t bother peeling the apples either, there�s good stuff in the skins and it softens during cooking. Better still, it saves you a little extra time!
Oh and just because it’s called apple crumble it doesn’t mean to say you can’t throw in some other fruits like berries or rhubarb. This also makes a delicious�breakfast treat the following day, topped with creamy Greek yoghurt.
- 4 - medium size apples such as Fuji, Gala, or Red Delicious
- 1tsp - ground ginger
- 70 g - butter
- 3 - medjool dates
- 100g - mixed whole nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Core and cut the apples into a fine dice- don�t bother about peeling them.
- Add them to a saucepan with the ginger and a splash of water.
- Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring a couple of times until the apples have just started to soften. Set aside to cool.
- Add the remaining ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles tiny pebbles. Make sure you keep an eye on it and don�t over-process!
- Put the apples in a 1 litre ovenproof dish.
- Cover with the crumble topping, taking care not to press down too firmly.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Leave to rest for 5-10 minutes then serve warm with cream or unsweetened yoghurt.